Saturday, June 6, 2009

How to deal with wrong mentioning of AY in tax chalans?

Some of my acquaintances have quoted WRONG Assessment Year ( AY ) . In one of the cases, the TDS payment was made using physical challan ( Form 281 ), whereas in another case, TDS was paid online.

Later on, when the concerned person in the bank was contacted, the bank officials refused to make any corrections. They stated that things were out of their control, as soon as the remittance was forwarded through their online system.In the other case, TDS has been remitted online. There is no way in which anyone could be approached for making any corrections in the Challan details.All the members are requested to share their experiences in this context and suggest remedies, if any.


Please write to Accounts Officer with copy to ITO/AC/DC/JC/ ADC citing the mistake and requesting them to read as you wanted. Getting acknowledgement is very much necessary.

You may not get any communication from the department, but during the assessment the acknowledgement will support.

In practical in most of the cases it is considered before yours come for assessment. That too in the new system, you will get a communication from NSDL on receipt your return as there would be difference between return and remittances if the correction sought was not done. Hence you get a chance to write to NSDL on receipt of communication about your communication to department.

No comments: